Greenmount Cemetery II

This is my second trip to the historic Greenmount Cemetery in Baltimore. Jake hadn't been with me on the first trip, so I wanted him to see it before we move back to New York. http://jessahserafini.blogspot.com/2009/03/greenmount-cemetery.html This is a link to my first trip, taken in 2009. Since some of my shots were of the same subject, I tried to at least go for new angles. And we were also able to go to areas of the cemetery that I hadn't seen on my first trip.

Here we are waiting at the lightrail stop to begin our trip.
Felix left a small hand-picked boquet for Enoch Pratt, who was a Baltimore businessman, a Unitarian, and a philanthropist who lived in the 1800s.




Johnny Eck is also buried here. He was a freak show performer who appeared to be missing his lower torso, often known as the Amazing Half-Boy. http://enwikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Eck


I thought this mausoleum was incredibly beautiful. This was one of the scenes I had missed on my first trip.



Hmmm...someone trying to get out?





This was an interesting grave. Obed Hussey, inventor of the reaper and the mower. I think it's funny that the cemetery grounds are upkept by something this man invented.


I wanted a portrait taken with A. Aubrey Bodine, a prolific Baltimore photographer. You can see my reflection on the headstone. Jake took this one for me!

Another ladder...people are really trying to get out of here...


I thought this was a particularly moving headstone.


Ahhh, here we are at the Booth family plot. The grave of the infamous John Wilkes-Booth is below. It is unmarked.




Jake thought this was a neat saying. I agree.




I love close up details of statuary.
A slideshow is below, featuring more of the many images taken that day. And even that is just a small sampling of the beauty that is Greenmount Cemetery.





Comments

Popular Posts