How Important is a Second Photographer?

This time of year for me is generally very busy as far as client meetings and bookings go. I try to have a variety of packages and pricing that can reflect the needs of all couples. I have two smaller packages for those on a budget, and to keep the price affordable, these are only one photographer packages. A second photographer can be added for an extra fee, and I ask you to consider this option.  I am confident in my ability to capture your day in great detail even on my own; here are a few weddings that I shot solo last year.

 Zach and Autumn
Cory and Riley
Justin and Jessicca 

However, I am using this post to make the case for why you should consider adding a second shooter to help me cover your big day!

1. If you are hiring me to come early and capture everyone getting ready, I am often unable to photograph the groomsmen if they are at a separate location. My assistant for Mike and Emily's wedding, Karla, was able to get some fun shots of Mike and the guys getting ready while I stayed with Emily and the girls.









 2. I can be more efficient with capturing all the details if I have a helper! For example, I can send my second shooter to the cocktail hour to photograph room decor and details or guests while I am photographing your formals. Or if we are taking pictures of guests at the tables before the events start, we can split up and each take a side of the room to get as many groups photographed as possible. In the example below, while I was inside taking pictures of the girls, Karla was getting these absolutely gorgeous shots of the grounds! 



In another example, my second photographer, Felix, got this adorable shot:


While I was outside taking these:



Because there were two of us, I was able to leave the reception to get the ring shots without worrying about missing anything!

3. When there are two of us, we can get two different takes on the same subject. While I was getting the whole group,


 Felix was getting close-ups of everyone.


While I was getting this,


 Felix was getting this cute behind the scenes photo with Eric and Stacy's grandson playing in the background.


And while I was focusing on Stacy's lovely dress,


 Felix was capturing her lovely smile!


When I'm getting ready for your walk down the aisle, I have to be in position to get the shot. My second shooter, however, has the opportunity to move around and get moments that I simply can't get because I can't be in two places at once!  Karla was able to get these fantastic shots:




While I was safely in position up front waiting to get this!


The other cool thing is that not only can we get two different angles of the same subject, we can use different lenses for a completely different effect. In the next examples, I was shooting wider and focusing on Mike and Emily's faces while Karla got some awesome close-ups of the string braiding ceremony itself.





 And how cool is it to have such different pictures of the same moment?



I'm not here to tell you what to do or force you to spend more money on a second photographer if you don't feel you need one. I'm simply showing you how much more you can get with two of us working together to ensure the best documentation of your big day!







Comments

Popular Posts